Ask for a Council Tax refund

Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

Your account could be in credit because you have:

  • overpaid
  • moved out of Cornwall
  • been awarded a discount or exemption
  • been awarded Council Tax Support
  • had the band of your property reduced
  • The property has been re-let

We will only issue a refund if you do not owe any further amounts of Council Tax to us.

You’ll get an automatic refund if you’ve paid too much money by Direct Debit.

If you don’t pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit, we will need your bank details so that we can organise a Bacs refund.

Our refunds are usually authorised once a week and issued to customers the following day.

If you’ve moved within Cornwall and have overpaid

You won’t lose out – we will credit any overpayment to your Council Tax bill for your new address.

If you have a query about a refund please use our contact us form.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service