£150 Council Tax Rebate

As part of the government’s initiative to help households with rising energy costs, they announced a £150 Utility Energy Rebate for certain households earlier in the year.

Most households in council tax bands A-D are included. More information is below.

Who can get this £150 rebate?

Most households in Council Tax band A to D properties will qualify for this rebate.

Read the full eligibility criteriaIf you don’t know which band your property is in, you can find it on your latest Council Tax bill. Alternatively you can use the Valuation Office website to check.

Please be aware that the following will not be eligible for the payment:

  • second homes
  • houses in multiple occupation
  • empty properties

When will I get the £150?

If you:

  • pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit and met our pre-payment assurance checks
  • gave us your bank account details

you will have received a payment of £150 into your account already. 

If you have not asked us to pay the money directly into a bank account, we will now credit the money to your Council Tax account. All credits will be applied to accounts by the middle of August.  We will send you a new Council Tax bill when we have applied the credit to your account.   

Does this mean I don’t have to pay my Council Tax bill?

No – you must continue to pay your Council Tax bill as per the amounts and dates shown on your latest bill. If you are struggling to pay, you must contact us.

Sort out your council tax arrears

Where can I find out more information?

More information about the £150 Energy Rebate is available on the gov.uk website. This also contains information on other ways the government is helping with rising energy costs:

View the Government Energy rebate information

I’m not in a band A to D, but I still need help

There is some further discretionary funding available to help households who do not qualify under the main scheme:

Cornwall Council's discretionary funding scheme

You can also read our helping hand pages. These detail other ways we may be able to help you:

Help with bills

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service