Council tax support during coronavirus

Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

Financial help if you're struggling to pay

If your are struggling to pay your Council Tax, there is support available and the Council can help you if you have been affected.

If you need help to pay your council tax, whatever your age and circumstances, you should claim Council Tax Support.

How to make a claim

Extra financial help

Cornwall Council is making further money available to help working age households on a low income.

If you are of working age and receive Council Tax Support, we will reduce the amount of Council Tax you need to pay from 1 April 2021 by a further £75.

The reduction of £75 is in addition to any Council Tax Support you already receive. There is no need to apply for these awards, we will adjust your Council Tax account and send you a new bill.

If you are still struggling to pay your Council Tax after the award of £75 we may be able to provide further help through our exceptional relief award. Find out below how to make a claim

How to make a claim to our relief award

If you would like to ask a question or request more information about your Council Tax Support claim, please use our online form to contact the team.

Other Benefits

Make sure you’re claiming any other benefits you are entitled to. Some aren’t available through the Council, so check the GOV.UK benefits calculator to see what else you can apply for.

The Government has announced some additional help for people whose household income has been affected due to coronavirus.

Benefits and coronavirus information

I can’t pay my Council Tax this month

We have suspended all recovery action until at least the end of April. This will allow you time to discuss your financial situation and find out what help is available.

It is important that you keep in touch with us and let us know if you are going to miss a payment or not pay the full amount, so that we can agree to a special payment plan. 

This may mean that we can move your payments due in April and May to the end of the year if you pay over 10 months. However we can look at the best option for your circumstances.

We can also look at your arrears so that we can consider everything you owe to us and avoid any extra costs or charges.

Contact us using our online contact form

We appreciate that this is a difficult time for many of our residents and that the COVID-19 virus is having a significant impact on the economy.

Your Council Tax pays for our essential services that are delivered to all residents in Cornwall, so it is really important that if your circumstances have not changed that you continue to pay what you should, maintain your direct debit payments, or payment plan, as detailed on your bill.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service