Skip to content

Benefits and Coronavirus

There are a number of schemes to help households whose income has been affected due to Coronavirus.

For people in work

The GOV.UK website is a good place to look for guidance. This will tell you about the different types of help available. This includes information about Universal Credit. You may be able to get help with money towards your household income. This can include money towards rent and mortgage payments.   

If you pay Council Tax for your home, you may qualify for help through our Council Tax Support scheme. Find out if you are eligible and to make a claim.

Test and Trace Support Payments

The Test and Trace Support Payment scheme has now closed. This is in line with the lifting of remaining Coronavirus restrictions in England.

If you need to get in touch with us about an application you have already made, the easiest way is to use our contact us form at the bottom of this page.

For people already claiming benefits

If you receive Universal Credit; you should report the change through your online journal. Or you can call the Universal Credit Helpline. Their number is 0800 328 5644. 

For other benefits and tax credits you should report any changes to the office dealing with them.

If you receive Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support from Cornwall Council you need to tell us about any changes in your household income. If you have any questions and need to get in touch with us, please use our online contact form.

From April 2020 the local housing allowance rates went up. This has given extra help to those who rent from a private landlord.

Extra financial help

If you are of working age and receive Council Tax Support, we will award you an extra £75. There is no need to apply for these awards, we will adjust your Council Tax account.

We have three discretionary funds to support people in need of extra financial help.

  • Discretionary Housing Payments for people who need extra help with rent payments. You must be in receipt of Housing Benefit or Housing costs via Universal Credit.
  • Exceptional Relief for working age people who need extra help with their Council Tax. You must be in receipt of Council Tax Support to get this.
  • Crisis and Care Award scheme can provide extra help in emergency or disaster situations.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service