Landlords are not normally responsible for paying the bill as this is down to the tenants.
Landlords may be responsible for paying the council tax in the following circumstances:
- In-between tenants - you will be responsible for paying the bill.
- Tenants under 18 - but you will be exempt whilst all of the tenants remain under the age of 18
Apply for the under 18 exemption
Houses in multiple occupation (HMO)
You may be responsible for paying the bill if:
- you have more than one tenant in the property and
- they each have their own tenancy agreement and,
- they do not pay the rent for the whole of the property, or
- the tenancy agreement stipulates that they can only occupy part of the property.
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.Use our contact us form
- Council Tax
- Most queries about Council Tax can be dealt with online. If you cannot see what you are looking for on our web pages please use our online form to contact us. Using the form ensures we have all the details we need to answer your query.
- 0300 1234 171