Landlords are not normally responsible for paying the bill as this is down to the tenants.
Landlords may be responsible for paying the council tax in the following circumstances:
- In-between tenants - you will be responsible for paying the bill.
- Tenants under 18 - but you will be exempt whilst all of the tenants remain under the age of 18
Houses in multiple occupation (HMO)
You may be responsible for paying the bill if:
- you have more than one tenant in the property and
- they each have their own tenancy agreement and,
- they do not pay the rent for the whole of the property, or
- the tenancy agreement stipulates that they can only occupy part of the property.