Make a backdated claim for Housing Benefit

Sometimes Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support customers believe we should pay their benefit from a date before we receive their claim.  This is called backdating.

Working age

Backdating is sometimes possible for Housing Benefit but only in limited circumstances and only for a maximum of one month. 

For Council Tax Support backdating is not allowed under any circumstances for someone of working age.  It is always best to make your claim as soon as possible.

Don’t delay in making your claim because you can’t get the evidence we need. Make your claim and provide the evidence later, but within one month.

Make a claim online

Pension age

Different rules on this apply for people of Pension Age.

If you are of State Pension age then we can consider an award of Housing Benefit and/or Council tax Support for up to three months before we receive your claim.

You do not need to ask us to do this it will be considered automatically. If we need more information to do this we will let you know.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service