Report a problem with one of the following;
- illuminated sign
- set of permanent traffic signals
- other electrical highway infrastructure
Please remember to include the town, street and the reference number, where possible:
- For streetlights and illuminated signs, the reference numbers usually consist of one letter and three numbers, for example A100. The number will be yellow on a black background found on the column, wall bracket or plexo box.
- Reference numbers for vehicle activated signs (VAS) and variable message signs (VMS) will be a black sticker with yellow text on the supporting post, for example VMS101.
Report an issue with a highways electrical item
Timescale for repairs
We pass all reports of faulty equipment received before 4pm to our repair contractor on the same working day.
Upon receiving the fault, our contractor has:
- 5 calendar days to repair a normal streetlight or illuminated sign fault
- 12 hours to repair a normal traffic signal or electronic sign (VAS/VMS/RTPI) fault. 12 hours from when contractor receives the fault, for example 8am the next working day if received after 4pm
- To attend on site within 2 hours for emergency repairs, such as exposed wiring, column knockdown, traffic signal power failure
- To attend on site within 24 hours where there is a greater risk of danger, but it is not an emergency. For example, streetlights on pedestrian crossings, busy road junctions or flights of steps
We work with Western Power Distribution (WPD) to rectify any underground defects. Underground cable faults may take longer to locate and repair.
WPD aim to repair:
- defects of three streetlights or more with 20 working days.
- Single street lighting faults they will look to repair within 25 working days.
Sometimes the repair requires the electricity to be switched off to neighbouring properties. If this is the case, you will be contacted 7 days beforehand. For commercial customers this is 14 days.
Street lighting operational policy
We have introduced a lighting system which allows us to dim streetlights at specific times. This is risk based on the road category.
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.Use our contact us form
- Roads, transport and parking
- When reporting please first search for the location, click on the map to make sure the pin is in the right location on a road or highway, then click on the pin to see the form options. If you have any issues please use the contact details below.
- 0300 1234 222