The Newquay Strategic Route (NSR) is a transport link . It will serve Nansledan and provide access to the Chapel Gover scheme. These were formerly known as the Newquay Growth Area. This is situated to the east of the town.
The plan for Nansledan is to build new homes and community facilities. These include a church and education and recreation amenities. This would:
- create more diverse employment
- attract more jobs and retail opportunities for the next generation
People will be able to travel in and out of Nansledan to the surrounding areas via the NSR. The route will:
- improve traffic flow by providing an alternative route to Trencreek Lane and Quintrell road
- have two-way traffic and footways and cycle-ways for pedestrians and cyclists
The Newquay Strategic Route will be implemented in three phases. For details see the infographic for the scheme.
A master plan for the area was approved by the Portfolio Holder for Housing and Planning in June 2011. This is included as a key area for growth in Cornwall’s Local Plan. The Newquay Strategic Route underpins the masterplan. It unlocks the site for its full development potential.
The Rialton Link in the north east was completed in 2015. Phase 1 to the south from Hendra was completed in November 2016. The Duchy of Cornwall is building the route from the east from William Hosking Way.
The Council has secured significant developer contributions towards the remainder of the scheme. We are seeking to secure government grant funding to help close the funding gap. The final phases (phases 2 and 3) will take the route from Phase 1 over the railway and stream. It will then meet with the eastern link and the proposed future western arm to Trevenson Road. Subject to funding, it is hoped that scheme will be delivered by the early 2024.
Once complete the route will:
- unlock the entire site for housing and employment development
- alleviate traffic congestion on the surrounding network
- improve overall journey times
It will also make good provision for sustainable modes of transport by:
- hosting regular bus services
- providing dedicated walking and cycling routes
- providing bus shelters with real time information
Some of the milestones may change to best deliver the NSR alongside other local developments. The milestones below will be kept up to date on a regular basis.
- April 2022 - DoC Construction of Trevenson Road Link
- September 2021 - Appointment of contractor for Design and Build
- October 2021 - Start of design
- January 2023 - Start of construction
- Winter 2023/24 - Construction completion/road opening
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.