Skip to content

Register to vote

Register to vote

The deadline to register to vote in the 2024 General Election is 11:59pm on Tuesday 18 June 2024. If you are already registered to vote, you do not need to reapply.

You must be on the electoral register (also known as the electoral roll) to be able to vote at an election.

Individual electoral registration requires each person to be responsible for their own registration.

To be on the register, you must register to vote either online or by completing a paper form.
The online application takes 5 minutes to complete. You will need your National Insurance number.

Register to vote online

If you need a paper form, please contact us. Our contact details are at the bottom of this page.

Please note: When an election is due, the deadline to apply to register is 12 working days before polling day.

Once you are registered there are different ways to vote - in person, by post or by proxy.

Help for voters with disabilities

You can also apply to register to vote using an easy read form.

We also have an easy read booklet with more information for voters with a disability:

Who can register?

Details of who can and who can't register to vote are on the Electoral Commission website.

The electoral register

We publish the electoral register every year (usually in December) in two versions:

We also update the register on the first working day each month and before an election.

Anonymous registration

You may be able to register anonymously if you are concerned about your safety. If you do not want your details to appear on the register, please contact us.

To register to vote in elections, you must give your details to the Electoral Registration Officer.

If you register anonymously, your name and address will not appear on the electoral register. We will keep your personal details confidential.

If you apply to register anonymously, you will need to:

From 4 May 2023, anonymous electors voting in person at their polling station will need to present their Anonymous Elector’s Document (AED) and their anonymous poll card. 

You cannot register anonymously online. For advice or an application form, please contact us. Our contact details are at the bottom of this page.

Service personnel

A member of HM Forces can now choose whether to register as a service voter or as a civilian (ordinary elector).

More voting information for service personnel.

Living overseas

If you are a British citizen living or working overseas, you can register to vote at certain elections in the United Kingdom. 

Persons with no fixed address

You can still register to vote even if you do not have a fixed address. 

If you have no permanent address, you can register where you spend most of your time or have some connection. This could be your previous permanent address, a shelter or similar place.

To register, you need to fill in a form called a Declaration of local connection or ITR for person with no fixed address.

More information is available at the Electoral Commission website.

The Electoral Register and Council Tax

The Electoral Registration Officer can request data from other Council departments, such as Council Tax, to help with registration. We cannot add names directly to the register. Instead, we can send an Invitation to Register to ask those named to register to vote. You should register to vote at

Registering for Council Tax does not automatically register you to vote.  

The council tax register and the electoral register are two separate registers. They are completely different and operate under different laws or regulations.

The council tax register may show the names of the owners and not necessarily the residents of the properties.

The electoral register is also used for other limited legally specified activities, such as:

  • detecting crime (like fraud)
  • calling people for jury service
  • checking credit applications

Did you know?

  • You are not automatically registered to vote, even if you pay council tax or if you have registered to use other council services. If you're not registered, you cannot vote.
  • Being on the electoral register is required for getting a mortgage and other financial credit.
  • It also improves your access to welfare benefits and gives you choices - for example, being on the electoral register will help if you apply for a mobile phone contract.
  • You only have to re-register when you change your name and/or address.
  • Your name can take up to six weeks to show on the register of electors depending on when you register to vote.
  • The main credit reference agencies receive a copy of all monthly updates and the full revised register so they can update their records.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service