Different types of settings for children with SEN

Most children and young people with special educational needs and / or disabilities (SEND) attend a mainstream school. There are a small number of learners with severe and / or complex learning difficulties who attend a more specialist provision. These learners will usually have an Education Health and Care (EHC) plan.

In Cornwall there are several different types of state funded specialist provision for learners with SEND.

These include: 

  • Area Resource Bases
  • Special Schools

Area Resource Bases in Cornwall

Some children and young people with SEND attend Area Resource Bases (ARB). These bases are hosted by 21 schools across Cornwall. ARBs support pupils with more complex needs.

Pupils in ARBs benefit from a more individually tailored, specialist provision. This can include small group work and access to specialist resources and services. One of the many strengths of ARBs is that pupils can still access parts of the mainstream school, as well as having more specialist support. As ARBs are spread across Cornwall it means it is more likely that children and young people can attend a school which is in, or near to, their home. This means they can learn alongside their friends and peers.

Cornwall’s ARBs are located at the following primary and secondary schools.

Primary schools

  • Beacon ACE Academy
  • Bude Junior School 
  • Burraton School, Saltash
  • Camelford School
  • Delaware School
  • Falmouth Primary Academy
  • Mount Charles, St Austell
  • Penryn Primary Academy 
  • St Stephen’s Community Academy, Launceston
  • Tregolls School,Truro
  • Trevithick School, Camborne

Secondary schools

  • Bodmin Academy (Greenfields)
  • Brannel School, St Stephen, St Austell
  • Budehaven Community School (The ARBour)
  • Cape Cornwall School (Kites)
  • Hayle Academy
  • Launceston College (Castle Unit)
  • Liskeard School and Community College
  • Penryn Community College
  • Richard Lander School
  • Saltash Community School 

Special School Provision

Children accessing a special school Foundation Stage class have long-term complex needs. A child can be considered for a place from 3 years once they have an Education, Health and Care plan. We fund places at:

  • Curnow (Redruth)
  • Doubletrees (near St Austell)
  • Nancealverne (Penzance)
  • Pencalenick School (near Truro)

Find out more about these schools on the Special Partnership Trust website.

Special Partnership Trust website

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service