2: Considerations

Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

Changing school is a significant step.  You should think carefully before submitting your application.

Your reasons

  • If you are thinking of requesting a change of school for your child because of concerns about: 
    • their attendance; or
    • their behaviour; or
    • bullying

you may find it helpful to talk to the Education Welfare Service before submitting an application to change schools. 

  • We strongly recommend that you talk to someone at your child’s current school about your reasons for considering a change. It might be that any issues could be addressed without having to change schools.


  • Your entitlement to home to school transport might change depending on where you are applying.
  • Your entitlement might change even if you are not changing your address.
  • Information on transport can be found on the Home to School Transport pages.

Secondary-age students

  • Your child might not be able to continue studying the same subjects/option choices.
  • Their existing coursework might not be applicable to a different examining body.

Designated areas

  • Cornwall Council has divided Cornwall into areas called ‘designated areas’. You might also hear them called ‘catchment’ areas.  These are each served by a specific school or schools.  
  • Your designated school may not be the one nearest to your home address.
  • Some schools include living in the designated area as a priority in their oversubscription criteria. This is the criteria they will use to decide who should have a place.
  • Entitlement to transport to all schools will be decided by Cornwall Council based on whether or not:
    • your address is in the schools’ designated area; or
    • it is your nearest school.
  • If you want to identify the designated school or schools for your address:

Home address

  • A child can only have one address which will be used in relation to
    • admission to school; and
    • transport entitlement.
  • The address should be the one where the child spends most of their time.
  • We may also need to ask you for evidence that the address you are applying from is your main residence.  Evidence you provide could be, for example:
    • a copy of a recent Council Tax bill showing your name and the home address; or
    • a copy of your driving licence; or
    • a utility bill (gas, electricity, water) showing both your name and home address.
  • If there is a disagreement between parents/carers about the home address:
    • you should sort this out before applying;
    • you may need to get legal advice;
    • the Council or the admission authority will decide which address to use if you cannot agree.

When parents/carers disagree about changing schools

  • you should sort out any disagreement before applying;
  • only one application can be processed for each child;
  • we can only offer one school place.  

If the following happens:

  • someone with parental responsibility applies for a place.  Another person with parental responsibility tells us they do not agree; or
  • more than one parent/carer submits an application;

we will either:

  • carry on processing the application or one of the applications; or
  • tell you we cannot process your application/s until you reach an agreement or get a court order.  You may need to reapply later.

When we decide what to do we will take into account the following:

  • your child’s home address;
  • the living arrangements;
  • your child’s view;
  • other relevant factors;
  • what is considered to be in your child’s best interests.

Fraudulent applications

  • If you use false or misleading information on your application to gain advantage in the admission process, such as using a false address, we might:
    • start an investigation which could lead to criminal proceedings;
    • ask you to provide evidence to help with an investigation;
    • share your information to help with preventing and detecting fraud;
    • withdraw the offer of a school place.
  • You must tell us immediately if your circumstances change.

Privacy Notice

Please visit the Privacy Notice page for information on how your data will be handled.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service