Skip to content

1: When to apply

You can only apply up to eight school weeks ahead of the date you need the place.  If you are a Service Family it is twelve weeks.   

Applications received earlier than this will not be processed.  You will need to complete a new application form at the appropriate time.

If you want to apply for a place starting in September 2024 the earliest you can apply is 22 May 2024.  This is for all applications other than starting in the first year of a school.

Address evidence

If you are applying for a place because you have moved house or you are due to move house:  

We ask you to provide evidence of your new address when you apply.  Only the forms of evidence listed below can be accepted.

Please note that a temporary address is not a barrier to changing schools.

If your preferred schools are full or there are more applications than places available, we need confirmation of your address to ensure that your child has the correct position on the waiting list, where one is held, or to assess their eligibility for a place.  Children are on the waiting list in the order of the school’s ‘oversubscription criteria’.  This is the priority order for admission. 

Buying a new home, including a new build

  • A solicitor’s letter confirming exchange of contracts; and
  • if a new build: evidence that the child will be living there before the expected school start date. For example, a letter from a developer confirming a build completion date. Documents evidencing the ownership or purchase of a plot of land will not be accepted.

Renting a property

  • A signed rental agreement, with the period of tenancy extending beyond the date of the expected school start date.

Returning to an owned property

  • Evidence of ownership of the property, for example, the current financial year’s council tax bill or recent utility bills; and
  • evidence that the property is available to move into, for example, a signed rental agreement showing the date of the end of tenancy.

House exchange

  • A copy of the new tenancy agreement, signed; and
  • a letter from the housing authority confirming the date for the exchange.

Moving to live with a friend or family

  • Written confirmation from the person the family are going to be residing with; or
  • evidence to prove that the family is resident at that address, for example a driver’s licence or a bank statement.

Temporary housing

  • A supporting statement from a housing officer; or
  • please contact us to discuss evidence.  
  • The temporary address must be the family's only address.

Service Families

  • An official letter declaring a relocation date and evidence of a future home address, unit address or quartering address.

Applications from outside the United Kingdom

  • It is the responsibility of the parent/carer to check that their children have a right to study at a school.  Parents/carers should check that:
    • they have the right of abode; or
    • the conditions of their visa means they can attend a state-funded school.

More information can be found on the Government's web site, Check if you need a UK visa

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service