Find out if your child can get free school meals, how to apply, and understand how to get extra funding for your school.
Pre-school children aged 2, 3 and 4 (not yet in a reception class)
Your child will be eligible for free school meals if they meet the eligibility criteria and attends:
- a maintained Nursery School (Camborne Nursery School or Truro Nursery School)
- the nursery class of a school/academy
To be eligible for a free school meal, your child will need to be attending sessions before and after lunch on that day.
Pre-school children attending:
- private or community pre-schools or nurseries
- school-based pre-schools which are not integral to the school/academy
are not eligible for free school meals, even if parents meet the eligibility criteria. If you're not sure what type of setting your child attends, please check with the staff.
Children in Reception, Year 1 and 2
All Key Stage 1 (Reception, Year 1 and Year 2) pupils are entitled to receive a free school meal. This is part of the Universal Infant Free School Meals (UIFSM) initiative and regardless of what benefits are being claimed.
However, some children in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 may also have an entitlement to benefits-related Free School Meals. Children in this group are also eligible for Pupil Premium – additional funding paid to the school to support your child in their learning. It is important to apply for benefits-related Free School Meals if you think your child may be eligible. This is so that your child’s school can receive this funding.
Your child will be eligible for benefits-related Free School Meals if you meet the eligibility criteria.
Children in Year 3 and above
Your child may be eligible for benefits-related free school meals if you, or the child themselves, meet the eligibility criteria.
If eligible for Free School Meals, your child will also be eligible for pupil premium. This is additional funding paid to the school to support your child in their learning.
A child is eligible for free school meals if their parent/carer (or the child themselves) receives any of the following benefits:
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods).
- Income Support (IS)
- Job Seekers' Allowance (Income-Based) and equal based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA-IR) and equal based Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit (CTC) with an annual income of less than £16,190
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Guarantee Element of Pension Credit (GPC)
- Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (IAA) Supports
If you are claiming the benefits listed below you are not eligible for free school meals. This is regardless of what other benefits/credits are being claimed.
- Working Tax Credit
- Contribution-Based Job Seeker's Allowance and/or Contribution-Based Employment and Support Allowance
There are different eligibility criteria for families who are not entitled to benefits (NRPF - No Recourse to Public Funds)
You can apply for Free School Meals and Pupil Premium online.
Please ensure you have read the important information on this page before applying.
Cornwall Council has received funding from the Government’s Household Support Fund to help families with the increased cost of living. The money will support households in the most need against rising living costs, including energy, food and water bills.
We will be making targeted cost-of-living payments to low-income families who meet the benefits- related Free School Meals eligibility criteria. This will be £80 per child in Reception through to Year 11. We hope that a cash payment will allow families to use this support in the way that best meets their needs.
If you are eligible you can claim your payment by completing the form below. To claim you must be the parent or carer with parental responsibility who made the original claim for Free School Meals.
Further details can be found on our information page