Cornwall has many mineral resources. Some of these minerals are locally important for building. Others, such as china clay, are of international significance.
China clay deposits world-wide are very limited. North of St Austell the china clay area is important for mineral working. The mineral planning permission covers some 88 square kilometres. The production of china clay also produces waste material. Much of it is a usable material for concrete and sand products.
Planning policies for mineral working and safeguarding are set out in:
- The Cornwall Local Plan and
- The Cornwall Minerals Safeguarding Development Plan Document
The Restoration and Tipping Strategy for the St Austell China Clay area has been adopted.
The SPD provides operational and technical guidance. This is to support future china clay working and restoration.
The SPD looks at the effectiveness of current restoration. It also sets a strategy for future restoration. This is to improve the environment for nature and communities. The SPD also recognises that there are opportunities for alternative after-uses.
- Restoration And Tipping Strategy SPD
- Appendix 1 Restoration Condition Survey
- Appendix 2A Fal Photographs
- Appendix 2B Goonvean Photographs
- Appendix 2C Blackpool Photographs
- Appendix 2D Karslake Photographs
- Appendix 2E Carthew Photographs
- Appendix 2F Eastern Photographs
- Appendix 3 Figure 1 Active Operational Areas And Tip Locations
- Appendix 3 Figure 2 Survey Location Points
- Appendix 3 Figure 3 Current Land Cover And Land Use
- Appendix 3 Figure 4 Working Districts And Operational Areas
- Appendix 3 Figure 5 Operational Areas and Access Network
- Appendix 3 Figure 6 Projected Backfilling And Tipping
- Appendix 3 Figure 7 Wardell Armstrong Vegetation Assessment Locations
- Appendix 3 Figure 8 Secondary Aggregates Tip Project
- Appendix 3 Figure 9 Secondary Aggregates Mica Dams
- Appendix 4A Secondary Aggregate Site Specific Assessments
- Appendix 4B Secondary Aggregate Scoring Spreadsheet
- Appendix 4C Anticipated HGV Routes To Rail Sidings
- Appendix 4D Anticipated HGV Routes To A Roads
- Appendix 5 Stakeholder Meeting Notes
- Appendix 6 Glossary Of Terms
- Appendix 7 Useful Links
Do you have any questions about the SPD? If so, you can contact Minerals Policy by e-mail: