Skip to content

Hazardous Substances Consents

This page gives details of when Hazardous Substance Consent is required, how to apply and how to access the public register of sites with a Hazardous Substance consent.

When consent is required

Hazardous Substance Consent is required for:

  • Substances listed as hazardous; which are;
  • On a site at, or in excess of, the 'controlled quantity'

As set out in the Planning (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2015

Applications for a new consent

Please use the Hazardous Substances Application Form and Certificates (new consent) to make your application.

You must include: 

  • a site map
    this must:
    • be to a scale of not less than 1:10,000
    • be based on an Ordnance Survey map
    • include National Grid lines and reference numbers;
  • a substance location plan
    this must:
    • be to a scale of not less than 1:2500
    • identify the area of the site to be used for storage, the location of any major items of plant to be used for storage and access points to and from the land
  • a certificate to confirm that notice of the application has been given in a local newspaper and posted on the land; (Form part 3)
  • a certificate of ownership (Form part 5)
  • the appropriate fee

We need four copies of the form, map and plan. The fee for an application is:

  • £400 if the maximum quantity proposed to be present exceeds twice the controlled quantity; or
  • £250 in other cases.

Other Applications

Applications for consent without complying with a condition of a previous consent or continuation of consent following a change of control are made using Form 2 in Schedule 2 of the Regulations. The fee in each case is £200.

Publication of applications

The Regulations state that:

  • a notice must be published in a local newspaper in the period of 21 days before the application is made - the form of the notice is set out in the Regulations as Form 3 in Schedule 2; and
  • a similar notice displayed on the land for at least seven days during the same 21 days.

The certificate to confirm this is set out in the Regulations as Form 4.

Certificate of Ownership

There are four certificates - A, B, C and D. These are set out as Form 5 in Schedule 2. Where Certificate B, C or D applies, the Notice to be served on the owner is set out as Form 6 in the Regulations.

Payment of Fees

Where applications relating to the same site are made to us and another authority, the fee is paid to the authority in whose area the largest part of the site is situated.

Public register of sites

Section 28 of the Act requires the Council to maintain a public register of sites at which hazardous substances are permitted to be located.  The register of Hazardous Substances applications can be viewed via the Online Planning Register.

Please follow these instructions to view the full list of Hazardous Substances Consent applications on the Online Planning Register:

  • select 'Advanced' tab
  • under 'Application Type', select 'Hazardous Substance Consent' from the drop down list
  • select 'Search'.

Links to Hazardous Substance Regulations

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service