Cornwall Council Building Control takes your privacy seriously.
This policy explains:
- when and why we collect personal information
- how we use it
- the conditions under which we may disclose it to others
- how we keep it secure
Any questions should emailed to:- firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to
PO Box 676
Tel. 01872 224792
Who will control my data?
The Data Controller for all the information you provide is Cornwall Council, New County Hall, Treyew Road, Truro TR1 3AY. Data Protection Registration Number: Z1745294
How do we collect information from you?
We get information:
- when you visit to our website, email or write to us
- when you book an inspection,
- make a Building Regulations application,
- make an ESconsult application.
- make a "Do I need" application
- subscribe to our newsletters
- enter LABC awards
- attend CPD events
Why do we do this?
We need to keep a record of your contact details to:
- deliver our services,
- discharge our duties under the Building Act 1984, the Building Regulations and allied legislation.
- store quotations,
- store “Do I need Building Regulations” enquiries,
- make you aware of and offer ESconsult products,
- distribute technical information and briefings on changes to the Building Regulations,
- provide invitations to technical events, CPD and learning.
- enable entries and give dates for the LABC Awards,
- give access to LABC’s products and service registration schemes.
What type of information is collected from you?
The personal information we collect will include:
- your name,
- company details
- email address
- phone number
- you to register if you want
- ongoing updates
- information on technical developments
- invitations and event details
How we may use your personal information
We will only use your personal information to:
- administer your account, i.e. set it up, make sure it is accurate. We will get back to you from time to time to make sure your details are current and that you wish to continue.
- fulfil our promises to provide a service or information.
- seek your views or comments on the services we provide.
- notify you of changes to services or products you have told us you’re interested in. Also let you know about any new or comparable services that are similar and relevant.
- promote the use of our services.
- assist with your entries into the LABC awards competition or awards event.
- process payments and refunds. This includes sending you email, invoices, receipts and statements. Also, alerting you if we need a different or up-to-date credit card. Send you system alert messages. For example, we may let you know about temporary or permanent changes to our services.
- communicate with you about your account and provide customer support.
- ensure compliance with our terms and conditions and applicable law.
- protect the rights and safety of our staff members and third parties, as well as our own.
- meet legal requirements. Such as:
- complying with contracts,
- court orders,
- valid discovery requests,
- valid subpoenas, and other appropriate legal mechanisms.
- provide information to representatives and advisors. Including legal attorneys and accountants. To help us follow legal, accounting, or security requirements.
Who has access to your information?
Work in conjunction with Building Regulations applications may include consultation with other services. These include South West Water for sewer related enquiries. As well as the Chief Fire Officer at Cornwall Council for fire regulation purposes.
Cornwall Council Building Control is a member of the LABC. A network of local authorities in England and Wales. LABC members deliver building control and organise events. We share customer information with the LABC to enable delivery.
Cornwall Council Building Control, via LABC also works with specialist organisations. This is for the local delivery of specialist technical services to customers including:
- Training partners, event organisers, product and supply chain specialists,
- Exhibition producers,
- Specialist research companies,
- Educational qualification providers,
- Professional institutions,
- Government departments and local government.
Cornwall Council Building Control or LABC does not sell data to any third party. We will only share some data when it is relevant in the ways described above.
Secure online payment systems are provided by a third party payment processor. They specialise in the secure online capture and processing of transactions. If you have any questions about secure transactions, please contact us.
Our website includes links to other websites. Please check their privacy practices before providing data.
How will we look after your data
Data held by Cornwall Council is on secure network and in secure premises. Access to your information will only provided to authorised members of staff. Staff who need to process it for the purposes outlined in this privacy notice.
We may update this privacy statement to reflect changes to our information practices. If we make any material changes we may notify you before the change becoming effective. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices.
What are my data rights?
Your personal information belongs to you and you have the right to:
- be informed of how we will process it
- request a copy of what we hold about you and in commonly used electronic format if you wish. (If you provided this to us electronically for automated processing, we will return it in the same way)
- have it amended if it’s incorrect or incomplete
- have it deleted (where we do not have a legal requirement to retain it)
- withdraw your consent if you no longer wish us to process
- restrict how we process it
- object to us using it for marketing or research purposes
- object to us using it in relation to a legal task or in the exercise of an official authority
- request that a person reviews an automated decision where it has had an adverse effect on you
How long will you keep this information for?
For statutory functions we will keep your details on file for 15 years from date of completion or closure of the file.
For all other purposes we will keep your details on file for 2 years. At that point the records will be refreshed and further consent sought.
How do I exercise these rights?
If you would like to access any of the information we hold about you. Or you have concerns about the way we have processed your information, please contact:
Data Protection Officer, Assurance, Cornwall Council County Hall, Truro, TR1 3AY, Tel: 01872 326424 Email: email@example.com
I don’t agree with something
We would prefer you raise any complaints to us so that we have the opportunity to see if we can put things right. If you are unhappy with the way we have processed your information. Or how we have responded to your request to exercise any of your rights in relation to your data. You can raise your concerns direct with the Information Commissioner’s Office Tel No. 0303 123 1113 or online at https://ico.org.uk/concerns.