Skip to content

I have debt

  • Rent or Council Tax arrears
  • Gas or electricity
  • Credit or store cards
  • Personal loans and overdrafts
  • Owe friends and family
  • Benefit repayments

Some options to consider

Talk to us and arrange a payment plan

Sort your Council tax arrears

If you are unable to pay your rent, for any reason you should:

  • Contact your Rent Management Officer Immediately on 0300 1234 161
  • If you think you might be entitled to housing benefit, contact Cornwall Council on 0300 1234 121 to make an application 
  • Keep your Rent Management Officer up to date with information about your housing benefit claim and financial circumstances

Gas and electricity bills

If you are struggling to pay your energy bills you can find advice from Citizens Advice website

Gas and electric bill advice

British Gas Energy trust

This trust offers grants to clear debt on outstanding energy bills, for people who;

  • meet certain criteria,
  • and who can show evidence of being able to make energy payments in future (once the debt is cleared)

Find out more on the BG energy trust website
Broadband bills

Find information from Money Saving Expert Martin Lewis

Money Saving Expert website

Debt Advice

Debt can happen to anyone. Free advice and support can help you find ways to manage your debts and reduce how much you pay each month.

Christians Against Poverty

Debt counselling charity with a number of centres in Cornwall

0800 328 0006 (freephone)

Christians Against Poverty website

Citizens Advice 

Cornwall Citizens Advice has offices across the county, and a phone helpline.

Textline: Text ADVICE to 78866 or for debt issues text DEBT to 78866 and they will call you back within 48 hours (excluding weekends).

Phone: 0800 144 8848 Mon-Fri 10am to 4pm. FREE

Debt and Money - Citizens Advice website

The Royal British Legion

Launched a grant scheme in November 2022 for armed services personnel, veterans and their families who are struggling to pay their energy bills.

The initiative will provide non-repayable emergency grants of up to £2,400 a year (£200 a month), and is available across the UK.

Eligibility criteria applies, but TRBL are generous with their definitions:

  • current serving members of the Royal Navy,
  • British Army
  • or Royal Air Force
  • as well as their families
  • dependants
  • and carers – which can include children
  • current and former spouses and partners
  • widows and widowers.

Check if you’re eligible on their website, or by calling the helpline.

0808 802 8080

British Legion website

Family and Information Service

Find support with childcare, parenting, money matters and more

Family Information Service website

Government website advice on options for paying off your debt

Moneyhelper website

If you’re struggling with money, you can talk to a specialist online or by phone, who will be able to help you start sorting out your financial problems. 

Help if you are struggling with debt

Step Change

StepChange provides free and confidential counselling on debt problems – including personal budgeting and credit advice.

Telephone: 0800 1381 111 from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm on weekdays

Step Change website


Information and financial support to help people get back on track

Turn2us website

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service