It can take several weeks to set up a placement, so please apply at least six weeks before your desired start date. This is to ensure you get the most out of your placement. Whilst we cannot guarantee finding you a placement, we will do our best to support you.
If you have any queries please get in touch by emailing HRTalent@cornwall.gov.uk
Providing pathways to successful careers
Cornwall Council encourages:
- work experience
- work shadowing
- student placements
The Council acknowledges the benefits that these arrangements bring to our organisation. Such as a new insight into the workplace and improved links with the local community.
A work experience placement will give you the opportunity to practice and develop some key employability skills and attributes. By choosing to do a placement with us, we can help you:
- Gain practical experience in the job area you are interested in
- Raise your awareness of current developments in the work area
- Improve your job opportunities
- Build on your skills and knowledge which will help you gain confidence in your chosen area of work
- Build your networks
- Take the first step to explore career options and make a positive career choice
- Gain great knowledge and insight into a large public sector organisation
What can you expect from us?
- A one week placement for school students, although it may be possible to offer a different length placement for other applicants
- A work experience placement designed to meet your particular career needs
- A chance to see first-hand how we deliver services to the residents of Cornwall by:
- work shadowing
- getting some 'hands on' practical experience
- An opportunity to meet different people in your chosen career area, ask questions and understand more about their area
- Encouragement and support
- A safe and secure placement where you will be treated fairly and with respect
Our work experience programme is open to everyone aged 14 and over, whether you are at:
- returning to work
- looking for a career change
We provide an inclusive working environment and commitment to placements for individuals from diverse groups; including:
- disadvantaged young people
- care leavers
- long term unemployed / returners to the labour market
- young people with SEND
- adults with learning needs
We are currently reviewing our placements. However, the offer has been reduced due to the fact that a large number of employees are still working from home.
The application process will help you gain the skills you need to enable you to complete future job applications. It’s really important your application form is completed fully and to the best of your ability. You may be invited to an informal interview for some of our more popular placements.
Here are a few top tips before you fill in your application form:
- Fill in all the sections
- Write all you can for each question
- Check for grammar and spelling mistakes. Why not ask someone to read your application before you submit it?
- Check your email regularly for our response
We encourage all applications to be completed on line. However, if you do require a different format please contact us at HRtalent@cornwall.gov.uk or 01872 324600.
What happens next?
We will forward your application form to the relevant service and aim to get back to you within 2 weeks to confirm if we can accommodate your request.
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.