How we use your personal information to provide adult social care services


Cornwall Council provides social work services through its Adult Social Services Directorate and in partnership with health organisations. The Council needs to collect information about you in order to provide these services. Depending on the service it may collect information about your family and other people associated with your case.  The Council retains case histories in line with retention schedules. Or as long as we are legally required to.

The Council needs to use this personal, and often sensitive, information to help make the right decisions about the type of service you need.  As well as to check whether the services are helping you as they should. The Council will always comply with the Data Protection Act 2018.

The Council provides services in partnership with other agencies and providers on your behalf. Social care and health care workers in Cornwall often work together in teams providing care to people living in the community. Sometimes some of the information held by social care staff needs to be shared with staff working in other Council departments.  As well as staff employed by the NHS, or other partner organisations. This is to ensure you receive proper care, support and treatment. Sharing this information also helps avoid you being asked for the same information more than once.

Questions you might ask…

Why do you need information about me?

  • To allow us to undertake accurate assessments and reviews of your social care needs.
  • To ensure you receive services best suited to your needs and circumstances.
  • To help us monitor and improve services.

Why do you need information about other people in relation to my case?

  • To allow us to most effectively assist the people who are providing you with care and support.
  • If you are vulnerable or at risk, to allow us to protect you better.

To whom will you give this information? 

  • We will normally only share information about you, or other people related to your situation, with people involved in providing your care and support, or if we are concerned for your safety. Sometimes, we need to share information if there is a risk of harm to others, including children.

Will my information ever be shared without my knowledge?

In the following circumstances, the law allows information to be shared without your knowledge:

  • to aid in the prevention and/or the detection of crime.
  • if your behaviour constitutes a serious risk of harm to yourself.
  • if your behaviour constitutes a serious risk of harm to others, including any children to whom you may have access.

Can I find out what information you have about me?

  • Yes, you can. The Data Protection Act 2018 allows you or a representative nominated by you, to make a request for all copies of the personal information we have about you.

If there is an adult with a power of attorney registered by a Court, they can make a request on your behalf.

Whenever your consent to share your information is required, we will always ask you.

How do I get access to information held about me?

Requests for access to information must be made in writing. They can either be passed to your social worker. Or sent directly to the Council’s Data Protection Officer at the postal or email addresses below. You can ask your social worker or another member of Council staff to help you make a request for access.

Need more help?

For more information and advice on how the Council uses your personal information, please contact the Data Protection Officer at:


Caldicott Guardian

View information on the Caldicott Guardian for Cornwall Council.
Contact email:

Find more information on the Information Commissioners website.

Information Commissioner's website

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service