Arson prevention advice for wheelie bin owners
Nuisance wheelie bin fires are a problem in some neighbourhoods. A wheelie bin fire can cause up to £1,650 of damage including:
- damage to buildings
- cleaning up
- and the cost of replacement
To keep your wheelie bin safe, don’t:
- put out your bin until it is due for collection
- overfill the bin or leave loose waste around it
- store in close proximity to a building
- allow bins or waste to block escape routes
- store waste by windows or doors
People affected by arson may suffer from victimisation and other forms of crime. See the National Fire Chiefs Council (NFCC) advice leaflet to reduce the threat to your home and how you can report deliberate fire setting
If you have any information about a suspicious fire, call Crimestoppers or Devon and Cornwall Police on 101.
Visit the Crimestoppers website
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.