Skip to content

Fire safety in rented accommodation

Safety advice

When renting a property it is important to take steps to prevent fire, as statistics show that you are seven times more likely to have a fire if you live in rented accommodation. Here are some of the things you can do to keep yourself safe.

  • Every year gas appliances should be checked by a Gas Safe registered fitter to ensure they are safe and are in good working order (Gas servicing certificated should be issued to the tenant) 
  • Electrical appliances should be in good condition and carry the British or European marking
  • Ensure your furnishings are fire resistant and meet 'The Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) (Amendment) Regulations 2010'

Questions to ask your landlord:

  • Are sockets, switches, light fittings and so on checked every year?
  • Are all gas appliances being checked and serviced every year by a Gas Safe fitter?
  • Who is responsible for cleaning chimneys and flues?
  • If your house is occpupied by three or more poeple, and they form two or more households has the premises being registered/licensed as a House in Multiple Occupancy (HMO)?

Fire safety prevention:

  • Avoid overloading any of your electrical sockets
  • Ensure that you extinguish cigarettes properly
  • Plan an escape route and make sure everyone in your house knows how to escape in the event of a fire.

If you want further fire safety advice Cornwall Fire & Rescue Service provide a free home fire safety check.

Legislation for rented accommodation

Most private sector rented housing issues are dealt with by the Councils Housing team under the Housing Act 2004 and in some circumstances the Housing Act and the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 will apply.  Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service have a legal duty to enforce the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and the housing team in the Council are the body responsible for enforcing the Housing Act 2004.

For more details on the legislation refer to our Housing Fire Safety and Private Landlords page.

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 require your landlord to meet the following safety obligations to keep your home safe from fire and Carbon Monoxide.

  • Have smoke detectors on each floor of the premises
  • Supply you with a carbon monoxide detector and alarm in any room of the premises which is used wholly or partly as living accommodation and contains a solid fuel burning combustion appliance

If you are worried your landlord is not doing enough to ensure your safety, please refer to the housing complaints page or contact Housing team using the information below.

Telephone: 0300 1234 151


Private Sector Housing

Economic Growth and Development 
Cornwall Council 
Room 110, St Austell One Stop Shop 
39 Penwinnick Road 
St Austell, Cornwall 
PL25 5DR

Further information

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service