Sewers and drains

Sewers and drains

On 1 October 2011 South West Water took ownership of private sewers where they:

  • either leave the property boundary
  • or join another property (which ever is first).

This means that you have a liability for the private sewer (this also includes manholes) that serves your property. Although once it leaves it will be down to South West Water to maintain and deal with any issues.

Before some properties have been responsible:

  • for private sewers a long distance off their property,
  • and in some instances on other people's property

This is designed to remove this responsibility.


If a blockage occurs on your land and the pipe only serves your property you would be liable to get it cleared. You can find many companies that will be able to clear this in the Yellow Pages, on the internet or other such places.

If the problem is either off your property or the pipe serves more than one property you should call South West Water on 0800 230 0561.

South West Water also have advice and information on what to do if you have been flooded by sewage and what they are doing to try to minimise the risk of this happening.  Often sewer blockages are caused by people putting items down the toilet that are not suitable to be put into the sewer system. There are many items which are not suitable to be flushed down a toilet.

Septic tanks and cesspits

Septic tanks reduce the bacterial and nutrient load of the effluent discharged into it. To stop the effluent from polluting watercourses or drinking water sources in the vicinity. They comprise of compartments for deposit of waste and settlement/treatment where bacterial activity creates a sludge that accumulates over time and requires regular removal. Responsibility usually lies with the properties using the tank, even if it is located on only one premises.

A cess pool or pit is a leak-proof holding tank for the waste; they are usually much larger than septic tanks. A cess pool needs emptying once it is full. This will usually be more frequently than for a septic tank because the liquid needs to be removed as well as sludge because there is no percolation into the soil. Responsibility for cess pools is the same as for septic tanks

Highway drainage

The Highway department ensures the public highway is not obstructed by standing water. This may be taken from the tarmacked surface by ditches, gullies or pipes and may discharge into streams, sewers or onto adjoining land.

Problems with blocked ditches or highway gullies should be reported to CORMAC Solutions by:

Environmental Protections role

The Council has no direct responsibility for:

  • foul water drains,
  • sewers,
  • septic tanks,
  • cess pits etc.

Environmental Protections role is to ensure that the person(s) responsible take appropriate remedial action if a drainage problem (e.g. a sewer blockage causing leakage) presents a risk to public health. However the Council has no powers enabling it to require South West Water to clear blockages or repair public sewers.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service