We are responsible for enforcing health and safety regulations in workplaces in Cornwall. We share enforcement responsibility with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). We have the same powers as HSE inspectors under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974. Each organisation handles different types of premises as follows:
Local Authority responsibilities
- Warehouses storing goods for wholesale or retail distribution.
- Tyre and exhaust fitting establishments.
- Display and sale of goods at an exhibition.
- Catering establishments, including cafes, restaurants etc.
- Office activities
- Consumer services in shops such as shoe repairers.
- Hotels, guest houses, camp sites and caravan sites.
- Health clubs and leisure activities; theatres, cinemas, night clubs etc.
- Therapeutic treatment centres including massage parlours, solaria, aromatherapy etc.
- Child care facilities such as nurseries and playgroups.
- Churches and religious meeting halls.
- Coin operated wet and dry cleaning establishments.
- Animal accommodation including kennels, catteries, stables and zoos.
Our officers adhere to our enforcement policy.
Health and Safety Executive responsibilities
- Mines and quarries
- Radio or Television broadcasting
- Most construction work
- Agricultural activities
- Use of x-ray machines
- Activities on board ship
- Ski lifts, ski tows and cable cars
- Maintenance, repair and installation of electricity and gas systems
- Maggot, fish and game breeding
- Local Authority activities and the police, fire and health services including hospitals
The local Health and Safety Office that covers the Cornwall area is;
Health and Safety Executive,
West Hoe Road
To raise a concern regarding health and safety in an HSE enforced premises visit the HSE website.
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.Use our contact us form
- Environment Health and Licensing
- 0300 1234 212