Money off council tax for severe mental disability

This is a reduction in your Council Tax because someone aged 18 or over who lives with you is mentally disabled.

The rules say they must have a ‘severe impairment of intelligence and social functioning (however caused)’.

This includes people who are suffering with severe and permanent mental health issues, including Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia and strokes.

To qualify for a reduction, the person must be over 18 and entitled to any of the following benefits:

  • Incapacity Benefit (IB)
  • Attendance Allowance (AA)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Severe Disablement Allowance (SDA)
  • The highest or middle-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component at either standard or enhanced rate (PIP)
  • Increase in rate of disablement pension
  • The disability element of Working Tax Credit
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Income Support which includes a disability premium
  • Universal Credit including a work capability element

There are no reductions, if two or more people in the household are counted for Council Tax purposes.

If only one person lives at the property, who is mentally disabled, the property may be exempt from Council Tax.

If a number of people live at the property and they are all mentally disabled this is covered by a different rule and the property may be exempt from Council Tax.

Apply if you are not sure so that we can check.

Apply for a discount or an exemption

The person liable to pay the Council Tax should complete the form. If this is the mentally disabled person, their representative can complete the form, on their behalf.

You'll need to provide proof of one of the above benefits (for example a copy of the award letter from the Department of Works and Pensions).

We can post an application form for the GP to sign, if they are unable to send a letter supporting the application.

After you've applied for a discount

You must carry on paying your current council tax bill until you hear from us with a decision.

  • If you get the discount, we will check every year that you're still entitled to it. We’ll cancel your reduction if you do not reply to our yearly letters.
  • Please tell us if your circumstances change, within 21 days, as this may affect your discount. If you don't tell us, you may have to pay a penalty.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service