- A property where all the people who live there are under the age of 18
- Armed forces’ accommodation whether occupied or unoccupied
- Visiting armed forces’ accommodation as long as at least one resident who would be liable for Council Tax is
- a member (or dependent) of a visiting force and
- is neither a British citizen or ordinary resident in the UK.
- A property where at least one liable person has diplomatic privileges and they are not a permanent UK resident or British citizen.
- Dependant relatives who are 65 or over living in annexes, providing they are related to the person liable to pay the council tax in the main property. We will give the exemption for as long as the dependant relative lives there.
- People living in annexes, providing they are related to the person liable to pay the council tax on the main property.
- People living in a property with an annexe, which is unoccupied.
After you've applied for a discount
You must carry on paying your current council tax bill until you hear from us with a decision.
- If you get the discount, we will check every year that you're still entitled to it. We’ll cancel your reduction if you do not reply to our yearly letters.
- Please tell us if your circumstances change, within 21 days, as this may affect your discount. If you don't tell us you may have to pay a penalty.