Skip to content

Money off council tax for job related accommodation

You may get a 50% discount if your job means you have to live elsewhere so that you can carry out the duties of your job.

To qualify you must have another home where you are also liable to pay the council tax charges. In other words, where you would normally live if you were not in this employment.

There must be a direct link between your work and the accommodation, for example:

  • live-in caretaker,
  • landlord of a pub who is required to live on the premises, or
  • a teacher living in the premises of a school

We will ask you to provide us with:

  • proof that you pay council tax at both properties, and
  • your contract of employment, which states that you must live in the property for employment reasons.

Due to essential maintenance Council tax and benefit forms may have a short interruption between 6-8pm on Tuesday 21 May. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Apply for a discount

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service