Money off council tax for disabled people

If you, or someone (including a child) who lives with you, is 'substantially and permanently' disabled, we may be able to reduce your bill by putting your home in a lower council tax band.

If your property is in the lowest band already, we may still be able to reduce your bill.  You can read more about Council tax bands and charges.

We can usually only do this if your home has been adapted to meet the needs of a disabled person.

This could include:

  • a physical disability
  • learning difficulties
  • mental health issues.

Your home must also have at least one of these to qualify:

  • a room which is mainly used by the disabled person and is essential, or of major importance, to their welfare; or
  • an extra bathroom or extra kitchen which is necessary to meet the needs of the disabled person; or
  • adaptions have been made to accommodate a wheelchair indoors

You do not have to get a disability benefit to get this reduction, but you may be asked about your benefits to help us decide.

The person responsible for paying the bill usually applies for the reduction, even if they are not the disabled person. For example, the disabled person may be a child.

You may be asked to send a letter from your doctor, occupational therapist, or social worker to confirm that you need these special features because you are a disabled person. We may visit your home to check.

Apply for a discount

After you've applied for a discount

You must carry on paying your current council tax bill until you hear from us with a decision.

  • If you get the discount, we will check every year that you're still entitled to it. We’ll cancel your reduction if you do not reply to our yearly letters.
  • Please tell us if your circumstances change, within 21 days, as this may affect your discount. If you don't tell us you may have to pay a penalty.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service