Skip to content

Money off council tax for carers and care workers

Care workers who live in the same property as the person they care for are not counted for council tax. This means we can apply a 25% discount to your bill if you are the only adult in your household.

There are two types of carers, the professional care worker, and the unpaid carer or relative.

The professional care worker living with the person receiving care

The professional care worker must either:

  • Be providing care or support to a person on behalf of a relevant body, such as a local authority, the Crown, or a charitable body, or
  • Be employed by the person they care for, who was introduced to the carer through a charitable body.
  • They must provide care for at least 24 hours a week, and are paid no more than £44 per week, and
  • They must live in the property provided either by the relevant body or by the person employing them to provide their care.

Apply for the discount

The unpaid carer or relative living with the person receiving care

The unpaid carer and/or relative must:

  • Be providing care to a person who is entitled to:                                                 
    1. attendance allowance
    2. The highest or middle rate of the care component of a disability living allowance
    3. Enhanced rate of the daily living component of personal independence payment (PIP)
    4. The appropriately increased rate of disablement pension
    5. An increase in a constant attendance allowance
  • Live in the same property as the person they care for
  • The person they care for cannot be their spouse, civil partner, partner, or child under 18 years of age.
  • The person they are providing care for must be over 18 years old, which could be a child, sibling, or non-relative.
  • Provide care for at least 35 hours a week on average.

Apply for the discount

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service