We welcome comments and suggestions from social media users but will not tolerate abusive or unacceptable posts.
We will block or mute accounts which engage in the following behaviour:
- Swearing and offensive language
- Ableism (especially prejudice against people with disabilities)
- Intolerance of religion or religious belief
- Inciting hate or harm (for example, discrimination based on protected characteristics)
- False information
- Direct threats
- Personal or defamatory comment about individuals, including council staff and councillors
- Spamming with content unrelated to council business
Direct threats, harassment and abuse will be reported to the police.
Sharing malicious or offensive posts on social media may also be found to be an offence under the Malicious Communications Act 1988.
If you are blocked from interacting with the council online and believe the action taken to be in error, please email us email@example.com with details and we will look into what has happened. Please note, accounts that have been blocked for the above behaviours will not be interacted with by email. This does not affect your right to make a complaint.
If you are blocked from interacting with the council online and believe the action taken to be unfair you can make a complaint.
This policy is published on our website and is reviewed annually.