Using accurate equipment protects both buyers and sellers from financial loss. Even quite small errors on individual transactions can soon mount up in busy periods.
Trading Standards periodically inspect equipment used to weigh or measure goods. This is to check the equipment's accuracy. Some companies prefer the reassurance of more frequent regular checks at convenient times.
Trading Standards are able to test:
- Forecourt Fuel Pumps used for petrol or diesel
- Weighing Scales used:
- in shops
- in industrial premises and factories
- to weigh parcels
- by angling clubs
- by slimming clubs
- for medical assessments
- Weighbridges used for vehicles or animals
- Measuring equipment used in restaurants, public houses and bars
- Weights, such as the ones businesses use to check their own scales
- Length measures used for carpets and fabrics or in hardware stores
- The weight of goods where an independent assessment is required
How do we help?
Trading Standards regularly:
- check goods are being sold by quantity when required
- check that quantity indications are correct
- advise businesses about relevant legislation
- advise on the suitability of systems and equipment businesses are using to achieve compliance. Accurate equipment alone is no guarantee in an unsuitable system
If you need legal or technical help to get the best from your process, we may be the people to ask.
If your business weighs items on request by the public, the person doing the weighing needs a certificate from the Council. (An example of this would be vehicles brought to a weighbridge.) You can apply for this by contacting the Trading Standards team.
View Trading Standards fees and charges
Book an inspection
For further information or assistance, or to book an equipment check, please contact the Trading standards team. Contact details can be found at the bottom of this page.
Weights and measurement self-service information
Looking for more information on the laws for selling goods by weight or measure? Please read the weights and measures guide from Business Companion.
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.Use our contact us form
- Trading standards
- 0300 1234 191