Minimum Energy Efficiency in Non-Domestic Buildings

The Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) Regulations 2015

The regulations have been introduced to improve the energy efficiency of buildings in the:

  • domestic
  • and non-domestic
  • private rented sector (in England and Wales).

Trading Standards are responsible for enforcing the regulations in relation to non-domestic premises.

Since 1 April 2018 all properties that are being offered for let must have a minimum E rating on their Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

This means that it is now prohibited to:

  • offer a new tenancy for an F or G rated property,
  • unless it meets one of the limited exemptions.

From 2023, non-domestic rental properties will have to meet the minimum E rating even if they are already tenanted.

The MEES regulations rely on the EPC framework contained within The Energy Performance of Buildings (England and Wales) Regulations 2012. These rules required that all properties required a valid EPC (unless exempt) when offered for sale or rent.

If the property does fit an applicable exemption, this should be registered on the PRS national Exemption Register.

Landlords and commercial letting agents can get advice or support on the MEES regulations, or Energy Performance Certificates.

Please contact our Business Regulatory Support Hub. Email or ring 0300 1234 212.

Domestic properties

The MEES rules relating to domestic properties are enforced by the Council’s Private Sector Housing team. For more information, visit their Domestic MEES advice page.

Further sources of advice

A guide to the Private Rented Property minimum standards has been produced by The Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service