Cornwall is renowned for its:
- and its wholesome food and drink.
However, as with all good things, there are always people ready to impersonate and take advantage of this reputation.
Following numerous complaints about goods being called ‘Cornish’ but not being made in Cornwall, to which there was no simple legal solution, Cornwall County Council's Trading Standards Service launched The ‘Made in Cornwall’ scheme, or Approved Origin scheme as it is officially known, in 1991 to protect the identity of genuine Cornish products. It introduced the distinctive Engine House logo that members of the scheme can use on their products so that the public can buy goods safe in the knowledge that what they are purchasing is indeed Made in Cornwall.
In 2023, Cornwall Council joined forces with Shop Cornish who now manage the Made in Cornwall Scheme.
For information on the scheme including how to join and forthcoming fairs, please visit the Made in Cornwall web page on the Shop Cornish website by following the link below.
How Made in Cornwall works
Before products are allowed to carry the Made in Cornwall logo they need to be assessed by Trading Standards to ensure that;
- they are indeed being made in Cornwall,
- that the business attempts to source ingredients or raw materials from within the County (with extra merit given to those that do)
- and that the finished products comply with the relevant UK and EU regulations.
Any business wishing to become a member of the scheme will receive a visit from the Trading Standards Team.
The scheme has more than 250 members, ranging from:
- individual crafts people
- to internationally trading manufacturing companies.
Covering all industry sectors from:
- food and drink
- arts and crafts,
it is the largest such scheme in the Country.
By choosing Made in Cornwall products you are not only buying fabulous gifts, you are also directly supporting Cornwall's creative heritage, and purchasing genuine Cornish products and you'll know it's Cornish.
Join the Scheme
Applying to become a member of the Made in Cornwall scheme is straightforward and involves the following steps:
- Complete and submit the application form on the the Shop Cornish website
- If your application is suitable, you will be invited to pay for your membership and book your visit from a member of our Trading Standards Team who will conduct an audit to ensure that the product(s) meet the required standard.
If your audit is successful, your membership will be confirmed and you will be able to enjoy the benefits of Made in Cornwall.
Please note, the application fee is non-refundable once an officer visit has been booked.
If you are ready to become a member of Made in Cornwall, follow the link below where you will find further information on how to apply, the fees and the application form.