This Town Vitality revenue fund is now closed to new applications.
On 12 February 2020 Cornwall Council approved a Place Policy and setup a £4 million Town Centre Revitalisation Fund (TCRF). This funding was to support towns in Cornwall to develop investment proposals. It was in response to the Vitality of Towns Inquiry which concluded in September 2019. This identified a set of recommendations to support towns.
The Town Vitality Fund was the first strand of TCRF funding offering £1 million to towns. The primary aim was to help revitalise town centres and high streets. Our town centres are important places to do business and to meet/socialise. This funding should ensure that town centres continue to be vibrant places.
The response from towns across Cornwall to the Town Vitality Fund has been very positive. This reflects the hard work from towns and their ideas for town centre renewal. To ensure as many towns as possible could receive support, the Council increased the budget to £1,450,000.
To date 20 towns across Cornwall have received grants to further develop their ideas. The level of investment committed by Cornwall Council so far is over £1.3m. We expect this level of investment to increase to £1.45m and supporting 22 towns.
The types of town centre activity supported by this fund includes:
- Feasibility work into a learning and business hub
- Reimagining the high street with less car dependency – safer, greener streets
- Options appraisal and business plan for a large waterfront site
- Sustainable and active travel to/from the town centre
- Outline business case for land parcels in the town centre
- Town centre homes and workspace opportunities
- Feasibility work for a new community green and event space in the town centre
- Town centre vitality action plan
Although this fund closed, Cornwall Council will continue dialogue with all towns. This approach will ensure that town centre vitality conversations continue. The Council will also look to help towns in other ways. This can include discussing future opportunities and wider links to Cornwall Council services.
Towns in Cornwall can discuss their plans and aspirations with the town renewal team.
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.