Register a still birth

A stillbirth is when a baby is born dead after 24 completed weeks of pregnancy. If the baby dies before 24 completed weeks, it’s known as a miscarriage.

Every stillbirth in England and Wales must be registered within 42 days (6 weeks) of the child being born. If the stillbirth is required to be registered after 42 days, we will need to refer to the General Register Office for authorisation.

We can normally attend the hospital or your home to register a stillbirth, alternatively you can register at one or our registration offices.

To book an appointment please contact us on 0300 1234 181. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm.

For contact details and opening hours, please see our Registration Offices page.

Who can register a stillbirth?

If the parents are married to each other or have formed a civil partnership then either parent may register.

If the parents are not married to each other, or have not formed a civil partnership and both parents want the father’s or second partners name in the register then both parents will need to attend. If this is not possible the mother can sign and bring a ‘signed declaration’ from the father or second parent or vice versa.

If you require a signed declaration please contact us on 0300 1234 181 and ask to speak to the Truro Register Office, or email us at and we can explain how to do this.

If neither parent can attend the following people can register on their behalf:

The occupier of the house or hospital where the stillbirth occurred
Someone who was present at the stillbirth
someone who is responsible for the stillborn child

Information you will need to register a stillbirth

For the child

  • Date and place of stillbirth
  • The forenames and surname if the parents wish to name the stillborn child
  • Sex of the child

For the parent(s)

  • Forenames and surname
  • Address
  • Place and date of birth
  • Date of parents’ marriage or civil partnership (if applicable)
  • Occupation
  • Mother’s maiden surname (if applicable)

Documents you will receive

You will be given a stillbirth certificate and a form that you will need when you make arrangements for a burial or cremation.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service