Second Adult Rebate for pension age people

Second Adult Rebate is help with Council Tax when another adult living with you prevents you getting a discount or exemption from Council Tax.

Only people of State Retirement Pension age can get Second Adult Rebate, and only as long as:

  • you cannot get Council Tax Support because your income or savings are too high.
  • another adult, on a low income, lives in your home who isn’t responsible for paying the council tax bill.  That person cannot be:
    • Your partner
    • A joint tenant or joint owner of the property, or
    • Someone who pays you rent for board and/or lodgings

Second Adult Rebate is for help with Council Tax; and this is based on the second adult’s income.

Am I eligible?

The quickest and easiest way to find out if you can get Second Adult Rebate is to use our online confidential claim calculator.

Find out if you are eligible using the claim calculatorUsing our online calculator is not the same as making a claim; you will need to do this separately below.

How to apply

If you are eligible, you can apply for Second Adult Rebate using the link below.

Apply for a Second Adult Rebate

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service