Skip to content

Benefits cap

The Government extended the national cap on the amount of benefits a single person or family can receive in November 2016.

This is known as the Benefit Cap. 

The benefit cap is:

  • £423.46 per week for a family or couple
  • £423.46 per week for a single person with children living with them
  • £283.71 per week for a single person.

We can help

If you think you may be affected by the Benefit Cap, please contact us as soon as possible for further advice:

You can phone: 0300 1234 121

or contact us online

The Cap applies to certain benefits

If you are of working age,  and already getting more than £423.46 as a family, or £283.71 as a single person, a week in benefit - your Housing Benefit will be reduced to keep your benefits below the Cap limit.

This will not apply if you or your partner are eligible for Working Tax Credit.

The cap applies to the total amount of people in a household, including partners and any children, who get certain benefits including:

  • Bereavement Allowance
  • Child Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance (unless you get the support’ component)
  • Housing Benefit
  • Incapacity Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Maternity Allowance
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Widowed Parent’s Allowance
  • Universal Credit (unless you aren’t deemed fit for work)

Some benefits don’t count towards the Cap

The cap won’t apply to you - if you, your partner or any children you are responsible for - are in receipt of any of the following:

  • Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance (support component)
  • Guardian’s Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Benefit
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • War Widow’s or War Widower’s Pension

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service