Skip to content

School admission appeals privacy notice

Who will control my data?

The Data Controller for all of the information you provide on your appeal form is:

Cornwall Council,
New County Hall,
Treyew Road,
Truro TR1 3AY.

Data Protection Registration Number: Z1745294. 

Where I can get help

If you need help with completing the appeal form please contact the Education Appeals Team:

For further information or assistance on Data Protection matters, please contact:

Data Protection Officer,
Customer and Support Services,
Cornwall Council,
County Hall,
Truro, TR1 3AY

Telephone:  01872 326424

Why you are collecting information about me and my child

All of the information collected on your school admission appeal form allows us to arrange your requested appeal hearing. This is in accordance with the School Admission Appeals Code 2012.

What information is needed

The questions on the appeal form are all required to allow us to:

  • process your request and
  • co-ordinate an appeal hearing in accordance with the statutory guidance

We will use the information provided on your appeal form.  As well as any supporting information provided by you to set up and complete an appeal hearing.  We strongly recommend that you read the information and guidance provided at Or on request from the Education Appeals Team to understand the process.

How you will use the data and information I provide

The information you provide on your admission appeal form and any supporting papers will be used to:

  • arrange an appeal hearing for your preferred school/s;
  • populate or update our education database and appeal process databases; and
  • contact you in relation to your appeal.

We may also use the information you provide for the following purposes:

  • To assist in the development of policy proposals.
  • For the prevention and/or detection of crime or fraud.
  • To follow up on safeguarding concerns.
  • For research and statistical purposes, where data will be anonymised.

How you will contact me

We will contact you in writing to the postal address provided on your appeal form. We may need to contact you by telephone and/or email in relation to your appeal.

Who will you share the data and information with?

The information you provide will be shared with:

  • The Admission Authority for the school/s that you are appealing for.
  • The school/s that you are appealing for.
  • The Independent Appeal Panel.
  • The School Admissions Team.
  • Any other parties that may be required to be involved in the appeal hearing. (For example the Independent Appeal Panel’s Legal representatives.)
  • In the event that you make a complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman or Education Funding Agency.  The information would need to be shared with these organisations. This is to allow them to investigate your complaint.

How long you will keep this information for

Data and information on and relating to your application will be retained until your child reaches the age of 25.

Your appeal form and supporting information will be stored securely by the Education Appeals Team. It will be stored both electronically and in hard copy.  Any data shared outside the Council will be transferred in a secure, electronic format. 

My data rights

Your personal information belongs to you and you have the right to:

  • be informed of how we will process it;
  • request a copy of what we hold about you and in commonly used electronic format if you wish. (If you provided this to us electronically for automated processing, we will return it in the same way);
  • have it amended if it is incorrect or incomplete;
  • have it deleted (where we do not have a legal requirement to retain it);
  • withdraw your consent if you no longer wish us to process;
  • restrict how we process it;
  • object to us using it for marketing or research purposes;
  • object to us using it in relation to a legal task or in the exercise of an official authority;
  • request that a person reviews an automated decision where it has had an adverse effect on you.

How I exercise my rights

If you:

  • would like to access any of the information we hold about you
  • have concerns regarding the way we have processed your information

please contact:

Data Protection Officer,
Customer & Support Services,
Cornwall Council,
County Hall,
Truro, TR1 3AY. 

Telephone: 01872 326424.

If you no longer wish us to process the information for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice you may withdraw your consent.  This can be done at any time by giving us written notice.  You should understand, however, that we may need to continue processing some or all of your personal information. This is in accordance with our statutory obligations.

What if I do not agree with something

Our complaints team can be contacted via the following address:

Customer Feedback Officer,
Customer and Support Services,
Cornwall Council,
East Wing, 1st Floor,
Dolcoath Avenue,
TR14 8SX. 

Telephone 01209 614060

We would prefer any complaints to be made to us initially. This is so that we have the opportunity to see if we can put things right.  However, if you are unhappy with:

  • the way we have processed your information
  • how we have responded to your request to exercise any of your rights in relation to your data

you can raise your concerns direct with the Information Commissioner’s Office

Telephone 0303 123 1113


By completing and submitting your appeal you give your consent that all of the data and information you provide may be used for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service