Skip to content

Planning privacy notice

Who will control my data?

The Data Controller for all the information you provide on this form is Cornwall Council, New County Hall, Treyew Road, Truro TR1 3AY.  Data Protection Registration Number: Z1745294

Why we are processing your information

All representations received in respect of a planning application will be processed in accordance with the:

  • The Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) Order 2015.

What your information will be used for

Your information will be used by Cornwall Council in determining an application for planning permission. Any representations received are published online on our public register. This includes your name and address. (Your personal email address, signatures and any contact numbers will be redacted from public viewing.  However we will hold this information on our planning system.)

Your information could also be used to contact you regarding the application.  This may be for the following reasons:

  1. If the application is withdrawn
  2. If the application is revised
  3. When a decision is made
  4. If the application is being heard at a committee
  5. If an appeal is lodged

Who else we will share your information with

We will only use this information in conjunction with a planning application.  We will note all comments we receive and make them available at our Council offices.  We will also post them on our website. These  will be available for the public and the applicant to view. We may share your information with the democratic services team.  This is in the event of the application being heard at Planning Committee.   

How we will look after your data

Your data will be held within Cornwall Council’s secure network and premises.  It will not be processed outside of the UK/the EEA.  Access to your information will only be made to authorised members of staff who are required to process it.  This is for the purposes outlined in this privacy notice.

Accuracy of your information

We will process the information given at the time of representation. If your information is not accurate then you can call us on 0300 1234151. Alternatively if you use public access and register online you will be able to manage this yourself.

How long we will keep this information for

Representations on applications will be held for four years from the date of Decision (which also allows for an appeal expiry date). After this time we will ensure your information is deleted securely.

My data rights

Your personal information belongs to you and you have the right to:

  • be informed of how we will process it
  • request a copy of what we hold about you and in commonly used electronic format if you wish. If you provided this to us electronically for automated processing, we will return it in the same way
  • have it amended if it’s incorrect or incomplete
  • have it deleted (where we do not have a legal requirement to retain it)
  • withdraw your consent if you no longer wish us to process
  • restrict how we process it
  • object to us using it for marketing or research purposes
  • object to us using it in relation to a legal task or in the exercise of an official authority
  • request that a person reviews an automated decision where it has had an adverse effect on you

How I can exercise these rights

If you would like to access any of the information we hold about you. Or have concerns regarding the way we have processed your information, please contact:

Data Protection Officer,
Cornwall Council,
County Hall,
TR1 3AY 

Tel: 01872 326424. 

I don’t agree with something

We would prefer any complaints to be made to us initially so that we have the opportunity to see if we can put things right.  However,  if you are unhappy with:

  • the way we have processed your information
  • how we have responded to your request to exercise any of your rights in relation to your data

you can raise your concerns direct with the Information Commissioner’s Office

Tel no. 0303 123 1113 

Why you need my information

You have asked us to record your representation on a planning application.  We are unable to accept anonymous comments so we need your name and address (email or postal address).  Without them we will not be able to provide you with the service.  All planning applications received by Cornwall Council are processed in accordance with the:

  • Town and County Planning Act 1990

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service