Skip to content

Environment service privacy notice

Explanation of privacy and the policy

The Data Controller is Cornwall Council, New County Hall, Treyew Road, Truro TR1 3AY. 

The Data Protection Registration Number is Z1745294. We are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.

For further information on Data Protection matters, please contact the  Data Protection Officer.

This Privacy Notice sets out the basis by which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us.  This is in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act.

Purpose of data processing

Cornwall Council provides Environmental services for Cornwall including:

  • waste collections
  • bereavement
  • historical records
  • maritime
  • countryside services

The Council needs to collect information about you in order to provide these services. The Council keeps historical information in line with retention schedules or for as long as we are legally required to. You will be advised on how long we will keep the data when it is collected.

The Council needs to use this personal, and sometimes special category information to help process your request. This ensures services are appropriate and performing correctly. The Council will always comply with the General Data Protection Regulation and the Data Protection Act.

The Council provide services in partnership with 3rd parties on your behalf. Sometimes information will need to be shared with these 3rd parties to fulfil your request. Full details can be found at:

We will advise you when we collect your data who it will be shared with and why. This is to ensure that you receive the service you have requested.

Why we need information about you

  • to allow us to provide you with services
  • to help monitor and improve services

How we will use your information

Cornwall Council is required to process your information where it is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation. Or to provide you with a requested service. When we process your data if it is done in accordance with a statutory requirement we will advise you of the statutory basis for processing.

The primary legislation and guidance include:

  • Data Protection Act 1998
  • Human Right Act 1998
  • Equalities Act 2010
  • Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981
  • Highways Act 1980
  • Town and Country Planning Act 1990
  • The Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2011
  • Forestry Act (as amended)
  • Health and Safety Acts
  • EU Protective Species Act
  • Miscellaneous Provision Act 2006
  • Land Drainage Act 1991
  • Flood and Water Management Act 2010
  • The Local Authorities' Cemeteries Order 1977 (LACO)
  • Disused Burial grounds (Amendment) Act 1981
  • Cremation Regulations 2008

Who we will share you information with

We will only use the information collected within the Environment Service. Some services are provided in conjunction with partners on your behalf. Sometimes information will need to be shared to these 3rd parties to fulfil your request. Full details can be found at:

Whenever your consent to share your information is required, we will always ask you.  We will also clearly explain why we are asking.

Your data rights

Your personal information belongs to you and you have the right to:

  • Be informed of how we will process it
  • Request a copy of what we hold about you and in commonly used electronic format if you wish. If you provided this to us electronically for automated processing, we will return it in the same way
  • Have it amended if it is incorrect or incomplete
  • Have it deleted (where there is not have a legal requirement to retain it)
  • Withdraw your consent if you no longer wish us to process it
  • Restrict how we process it
  • Object to us using it for marketing or research purposes (if it is used for this purpose)
  • Object to us using it in relation to legal tasks or in the exercise of an official duty
  • Request that a person reviews an automated decision where it has had an adverse effect on you

Accessing your data

If you would like to access any of the information we hold about you. Or if you have any concerns regarding the way we have processed your information, please contact:

Data Protection Officer
Cornwall Council
County Hall
Tel: 01872 326424

Complaints, Compliments and Comments

Our complaints team can be contacted via the following address:

Compliments, Comments and Complaints
Cornwall Council 
County Hall 
Treyew Road 

Tel: 0300 1234 100

We would prefer any complaints to be made to us initially so that we have the opportunity to see if we can put things right. However, if you are:

  • unhappy with the way we have processed your information or
  • how we have responded to your request to exercise your rights in relation to your data

you can raise your concerns direct with the Information Commissioner’s Officer.

Tel: 0303 123 1113 or online:

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service