Skip to content

Privacy notices for Electoral Services

Our privacy notice applies to the following Elections and Registration processes:

  1. Where you have made an enquiry by phone, in writing or by email and given us your personal details.
  2. Where you have registered to vote by phoning us or writing to us. Also where you have registered with the Government’s Voter Registration Service and they have sent us your details. Information you have provided to the Government's Voter Registration Service is also covered.
  3. Where you have applied for a Voter Authority Certificate by attending the council offices or writing to us and providing a photo. Information you have provided to the Government's Application Service is also covered.
  4. Where you have applied to vote by post, in writing, or by submitting a scanned application by email.
  5. Where you have applied to vote by proxy, in writing, or by submitting a scanned application by email.
  6. Where you have applied to work for the Returning Officer at an Election or Referendum.
  7. Where you have applied to work for the Electoral Registration Officer. This work includes door-to-door collection of Household Canvass Communications and/or or Individual Registration forms.

Further information is available on our Elections privacy notice page.

Privacy Notice: Casual Vacancy – submitting a request for an election / signing a petition for an election

Who will control my data?

The Data Controller for all the information you provide on this form is Cornwall Council, New County Hall, Treyew Road, Truro TR1 3AY. Data Protection Registration Number: Z1745294

There’s something I don’t understand

If you need help understanding this notice, please contact Electoral Services. Telephone please email

How will the Council use the information about me and who will my personal data be shared with?

We will only use your personal data to fulfil the statutory tasks of the Proper Officer in connection with the election process in question. If, following a casual vacancy at a town or parish Council, you write to Cornwall Council or you sign a petition for the vacancy to be filled by an election, there are statutory requirements that the Proper Officer must adhere to.

Cornwall Council’s Proper Officer is required under the Local Government Act 1972 to deposit on record such requests and make them available for inspection by an interested person including members of the public. Whilst Cornwall Council will not publish such requests, the law allows interested persons to make copies of inspected requests.

Your data will be held within Cornwall Council’s secure network and premises. It will not be processed by Cornwall Council outside of the UK.

How long will you keep this information for?

We will keep requests for an election for 21 days after the election.

What are my data rights?

Your personal information belongs to you and you have the right to:

  • be informed of how we will process it
  • request a copy of what we hold about you in used electronic format if you wish. (If you provided this to us electronically for automated processing, we will return it in the same way.)
  • have it amended if it’s incorrect or incomplete
  • have it deleted (where we do not have a legal requirement to retain it)
  • withdraw your consent if you no longer wish us to process
  • restrict how we process it
  • object to us using it for marketing or research purposes
  • object to us using it in relation to a legal task or in the exercise of an official authority
  • request that a person reviews an automated decision where it has had an adverse effect on you.

How do I exercise these rights?

If you would like to access any of the information we hold about you or have concerns regarding the way we have processed your information, please contact: Data Protection Officer Cornwall Council County Hall Truro TR1 3AY email:

I don’t agree with something

We prefer any complaints to be made to us initially so that we have the opportunity to see if we can put things right. However, if you are unhappy with the way we have processed your information or how we have responded to your request to exercise any of your rights in relation to your data, you can raise your concerns direct with the Information Commissioner’s Office Tel No. 0303 123 1113

Further information is available on our Elections privacy notice page.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service