Skip to content

Education grants and funding

School Uniform Grants

Cornwall Council does not provide a grant towards school uniforms.  Each school's Governing Board are responsible for their policy on school uniform. Please contact your child's school to check if they can help.

For information on reducing the cost of school uniform, please visit the Family Information Service website.

16-19 Bursary

The Government provides extra funding to colleges, sixth forms and some learning providers. This is to help young people in need of financial support to stay learning post 16.

The money could help with covering the costs of things such as your transport, books or equipment. It can even be used for trips / visits etc.

More details on the 16–19 Bursary on the website. You can talk to your school/college about what help they can give with money. 

Higher Education Student Finance

Students have to apply directly to the new Student Finance England service.

Further information and application forms on the website. You can call  0845 300 50 90 (find out about call charges).

There is also information available on the DirectGov website about disabled students allowance.

Adult Learning Grant

The Adult Learning Grant (ALG) gives a helping hand towards travel, study materials or other costs. These must be related to studying.

If you’re an adult taking a full-time course, you could get up to £30 per week during term time - around £1,000 a year

You can use ALG to study for a wide range of qualifications, including BTECs, NVQs, GCSEs and A-levels.

Please visit Adult Learning Grant (ALG) for further information.

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service