This page gives advice on changing an existing address
- Adding or changing a house name to an existing residential address
- Adding or changing a business name to an existing commercial address
Key points to note before applying to change an existing address
You can add a House name to an address with an existing number. But you cannot drop an existing house number in favour of a house name. Where possible Cornwall Council will add an appropriate number to assist an existing numbering scheme.
- Avoid names that have already in use within the local area. Try to avoid the same names but using a different suffix. For example naming a house CHAPEL HOUSE which sits next door to CHAPEL COTTAGE and THE CHAPEL.
- Do not use offensive, racist, rude, anagrams or numeric names.
- Cornwall Council encourages the use of the Cornish language. Also the local history/heritage when you are choosing a name.
For further information please refer to our Street Naming and Numbering Policy and Guidance Notes.
How to apply to change an address
Please use the link below to download an application form:
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.