Cornwall Council’s ambition is to be an employer of choice, a high performing Council and a learning organisation. We commit to providing a reward and benefits package to attract, motivate and reward our employees. We offer a range of flexible working options to our staff. This helps provide our employees with a greater work/life balance. Whilst still ensuring that service needs are met.
Please be aware the flexible working policy does not apply to school based employees. It is also limited within the Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service.
A few examples of our flexible working opportunities are:
- Annualised Hours – available where there are seasonal variations in demand
- Compressed Hours – for example, full contracted hours spread over a 9 day fortnight instead of 10 days
- Core Hours and flexi time – ability to flex working hours around core times
- Job share – when two employees share the responsibilities of a full post
- Part time working – for example, for family friendly/ caring reasons
- Term Time only – working during schools terms only
- Flexible work settings - for example, partnership buildings or hot desking across the Council
- Home working – all I.T. equipment and access will be arranged by our Information Services team.
Our core employee rewards and benefits include:
- a competitive salary. Cornwall Council pays employees a minimum of the Living Wage Foundation rate. (Excludes some training roles or placements)
- a defined benefit pension scheme, based on your career average earnings. This includes the option for extra voluntary contributions (*)
- 24 days* annual leave per year (pro-rata), rising to 28 days after five years continuous service. (* From 1 April 2023 this will increase to 26 days and 29 days respectively.) Plus:
- bank holidays
- ability to buy extra annual leave
- family friendly leave
- pay and working arrangements
- payment of relevant professional fees
- car salary sacrifice scheme
- relocation scheme (for certain roles)
- relevant learning and development opportunities
- A national award winning employee health and wellbeing programme
- An employee assistance programme (EAP) and access to confidential counselling
- A volunteering scheme allowing 2 days paid volunteering days per year
We have an employee voluntary benefits scheme called One and All Employee Benefits. This gives employees access to a wide range of discounts to local and national goods and service. Including a salary sacrifice scheme for tech products and cycle to work.
Our commitment is to improve employee engagement and support with many initiatives, including:
- employee network forums where staff can meet and discuss topics relevant to them;
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Questioning
- Employee Disability
- Race Equality
- Early Careers Network
- Men's Forum
- Armed Forces Forum
- a new employee performance management and development process
- an employee recognition scheme
- an employee suggestion scheme
We are always developing our employee rewards and benefits package. As well as this we give you the opportunity to develop your career with Cornwall’s largest employer. Coupled with the chance to live in one of the country’s most beautiful counties. We offer a lifestyle and professional satisfaction that few organisations can match.
(*) The Government has placed restrictions on the tax free benefits that you can have at retirement. As well as the amount that your pension savings can grow each year before being subject to a tax charge by HMRC. Before taking up your new role please seek independent financial advice. Please visit the local government pension scheme website for further information.
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.