Cornwall Councils Private Sector Housing Team takes your privacy seriously.
This policy explains:
- when and why we collect person information
- how we use it
- the conditions under which we may disclose it to others
- how we keep it secure
Any questions about this policy should be sent by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or in writing to:
Private Sector Housing
New County Hall
Who controls your data
The Data Controller for all the information you provide is Cornwall Council, New County Hall, Treyew Road, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 3AY.
Data Protection Registration Number: Z1745294
How we collect information from you
We get information during the course of your visit to our website.
- when you complete any of our online forms
- make an HMO Licence application
- join the Cornwall Responsible Landlord Scheme (CRLS)
- enquire about our empty homes products
We also collect information through email, post and telephone when you make contact with us requesting our services.
Why we do this
We need to keep a record of your contact details to:
- correspond with you to deliver our services
- to discharge our duties under the Housing Act 2004 and other allied legislation
- respond to enquiries made under
- ‘Ask us a question’
- 'Responding to your letter’
- or ‘Are you concerned about an HMO'
- determine how satisfied you are with our service
- to consult with you as a partner where changes of legislation may have an impact on the business you run
- provide ongoing updates on technical developments
- invite you to events which are relevant to you
The type of information we collect from you
The personal information we collect includes:
- your name
- email details
- telephone number
- address details for your rental or empty property
How we may use your personal information
We will only use your personal information to:
- Administer your CRLS membership
- Email newsletters and other relevant information
- Fulfil our promises to provide a service or information
- Seek your views or comments on the services we provide
- Notify you of changes to services or legislation and any news that is relevant
- Promote ours services
- Process payments and refunds. This includes sending you emails, letters, invoices and receipts
- Ensure compliance with our terms and conditions and applicable law
- Protect the rights and safety of our staff members and third parties as well as our own
- Meet legal requirements
- Provide information to other advisors, such as our legal representatives or accountants
Who has access to your information
We may need to consult with:
- Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service
- Building Control
Or have discussions with:
- Devon and Cornwall Police
- Trading Standards
- Revenues and Benefits
The CRLS, also work with specialist organisations and scheme partners to deliver training to members.
We do not sell data to a third party and will only share some data when it is relevant in the ways described above.
Our secure online payment system, is processed by a third party payment processor. They specialise in secure online capture and processing or credit/debit card transactions. If you have any questions about secure transactions, please contact us.
How we will look after your data
We may update this privacy statement to reflect changes to our information practices. If we make any material changes we may notifiy you:
- by email (sent to the email address you have provided us on your web enquiry, licence application, etc)
- by means of a notice on our website before the changes becoming effective
We encourage you to review this page for the latest information on our privacy policies.
Your data rights
Your personal information belongs to you and you have the right to:
- Be informed of how we will process it
- Request a copy of what we hold about you and in the format you request, for example by email or letter
- Have it amended if it is incorrect or incomplete
- Have it deleted (where we do not have a legal requirement to keep it)
- Withdraw your consent if you no longer wish us to process it
- Restrict how we process it
- Object to us using it for marketing or research purposes
- Object to us using it in relation to a legal task or in the exercise of an official authority
- Request that a person reviews an automated decision where it has an adverse effect on you
How long we keep this information for
For statutory functions (legal requirements) we will keep your details on file for 7 years. This is from the date of completion or closure of the file.
For all other purposes we will keep your details on file for at least 2 years. At this point the records will be reviewed and further consent sought.
How to exercise these rights
To access any of the information we hold about you or have concerns about the way we process your information, please contact:
Data Protection Officer, Assurance, Cornwall Council, New County Hall, Treyew Road, Truro, Cornwall, TR1 3AY.
Tel: 0300 1234 100
I don’t agree with something
We would prefer any complaints to be made to us so that we have the opportunity to see if we can put things right.
You can also raise your concerns to the Information Commissioners Officer.
Tel: 0303 123 1113