Countryside access land

Under the Countryside and Rights of Way (CRoW) Act 2000.  The public were given rights to walk freely over mapped access land without having to stay on public rights of way. The mapped access land comprises either open country, such as mountain, moor, heath or down, or registered common land.

The majority of this land is used for people's livelihoods. So, this should be respected and consideration should be taken at all times when accessing the land.

The Countryside Access and the New Right leaflet provides more information. It is also vital that you follow the Countryside Code.

Please see Natural England Open Access land for further information.  To search and view CROW Access Maps.

Open Access is shown on 1:25,000 Ordnance Survey Explorer Maps.

Need help?

Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.

Use our contact us form

Your feedback is important to us

Help us improve our service