Bringing reading to life to primary schools in Cornwall
The following tasks can be difficult for teachers when their time is so stretched:
- sourcing high quality texts for a range of reading levels and interests
- finding the time and expertise to maximise the impact of a school library
- ensuring the regular provision of books and materials to bring different topics to life
Children have increased demands on their time such as technology. There are also fewer role models in their lives reading, with less reading happening in the home. The importance of available books which:
- are engaging
- are language-rich
- look attractive
- appeal to a range of children’s interests and reading levels
has never been more important.
How ELS can help
Having the specific expertise and finding the time to source a wide range of outstanding books can be difficult for schools. Amongst others, we provide:
- Popular fiction books across a range of reading levels. From classics like the Hungry Caterpillar to the latest must-read author.
- Classic fiction books for a range of interests that can broaden children’s vocabulary and reading experience.
- Non-fiction books that make learning fun, such as the Horrible Histories collection.
- Picture books with beautiful illustrations to reinforce independent reading.
- Quick reads short novels whose content is typically suited to a younger audience ready to move on from picture books.
- Hi-Lo titles for children who may have a lower reading ability but want to read books where the content is appropriate for their age.
- Top Junior books with rich grammar and vocabulary. These are age appropriate content for children with an advanced reading ability.
- Accelerated Reader We have produced a help sheet to support your teachers and students with how our books are labelled and the AR scheme. Please email email@example.com for a copy.
- Help in Cataloguing - If you need help in cataloguing your library books please view our subject index
In addition to our book procurement expertise, the Education Library Service offers a variety of other services. These will engage children with reading and maximise the impact of your library. Just some of the ways we can help include:
- Regular exchange of brand-new books. These can be delivered by our mobile library van. They give children the opportunity to choose their next adventure direct from the mobile library’s shelves.
- Boxes of fiction and non-fiction books, and artefacts provided each term. Reading material to bring different topics to life. Login in to the online order form to view topics and availability for each term.
- Children’s issues books on issues such as divorce, anxiety and bereavement. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org stating your interest and particular needs.
- Library and stock consultations. Our expert team can spend time in your school to understand your needs and provide support to get the most from your library. Whether it’s related to a full re-design or providing hints and tips on how to engage children with the space.
- Stock weeds and library tidies. Our team can also spend time in your library to remove outdated and poor-quality stock. They can tidy and refresh the space to ensure it’s inviting for children.
- Buying books at up to 30% discount of RPP.
- Events and Training. Exclusive access to author events, story-time sessions and library training.
Further information and opening times
Please do get in touch if you would like further information about ELS supporting your school through any of the services outlined. Alternatively, if your school is interested in a new subscription to our service. In addition to this, we will keep schools up to date on various initiatives. These include author events and training sessions held throughout the academic year.
Our opening times for telephone calls are below. We are not currently open for public visits.
- Mon – 8.30am-4.30pm
- Tuesday - 8.30am – 4.30pm
- Wednesday – 8.30m - 4.30pm
- Thursday – 8.30am – 4.30pm
- Friday – 8.30am – 4.30pm
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.