The SEND Code of Practice 0-25 promotes the use of the ‘assess, plan, do, review cycle’.
This cycle can be used to meet the needs of children/young people. It can also be used to improve practice at many levels ensuring that:
- individual children/young people at SEN support and those with an EHC plan receive the best possible provision. They also achieve positive outcomes
- SEN provision made by an educational setting evolves to meet the needs of all children/young people with SEN
- the EHC needs assessment, planning and review processes support:
- children/young people
- their families
- educational setting
Evidencing the ‘assess, plan, do, review’ cycle
This is for individual children and young people.
Assess - clear analysis is made of needs based on:
- views of the child/young person and their parents / carers
- teacher assessments and observations
- pupil’s current attainment
- pupil’s previous progress and attainment
- tracking of progress and comparisons with national data
- assessments by external agencies if appropriate.
Plan - following assessment, the teacher, SENCO, parent / carers and pupil, agree on a plan of action to include:
- time limited outcomes for the pupil
- the adjustments, support and interventions to be put in place
- a date for review
All planning must be pupil centred and outcomes focussed and recorded.
Do - all the pupil’s teachers and support staff are made aware of the plan and put in place the adjustments, support and interventions. Teachers are responsible for:
- differentiating and personalising the curriculum
- delivery of ‘additional and different’ provision for a pupil with SEN
- planning, support and impact measurement of all group and one-to-one interventions. This is delivered by support staff
- linking interventions to classroom teaching
The SENCO supports teachers in the effective implementation of provision.
Review - the quality, effectiveness and impact of provision is evaluated by the review date.
This includes sharing information with pupil and parent/carers and seeking their views.
The cycle then starts again at assess. The updated needs of the pupil are considered before planning a continuation of or change to provision.
Inform school developments and update the school SEN information report
This document must be dated and updated annually. This is an ideal time for each school to:
- review the provision that has been made over the last year
- assess the changes that need to be made to provision
- plan for the coming year
- recording what the school will do
Most issues can be resolved online, it's the quickest and most convenient way to get help.