Cornwall is part of EXPERIENCE – a €23.3 million project. It involves six
areas of the Channel region:
It aims to promote off-season tourism and sustainable economic growth.
EXPERIENCE aims across the Channel region:
To boost visitor numbers to the ‘quieter’ months (October – March).
- Focus on ‘experiential tourism’
- Connect visitors with a place, its history, geography or culture
- Increase visitor value by 5% in the off-season
- Attract 20 million visitors spending €1 billion by 2023
- The four-year project is due to run to June 2023
- It is co-funded (€16.1 m) by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)
- Through the Interreg France (Channel) England Programme
- Cornwall Council is investing a further €0.9 million
- Providing a total of €2.8 million investment
Cornwall Council’s focus and aims:
Cornwall's investment will be focused in the Penzance pilot area. It will:
- Boost off-season tourism
- Encourage a year-round visitor economy
- Connect visitors with the history, geography and culture of Cornwall
- Bring the cultural and tourism sector together
- Support businesses in Cornwall
- Improve the Mount’s Bay coast path (Marazion to Penzance)
- Develop the sustainable cultural tourism offer
- Develop out-of-season visitor experiences
Norfolk County Council is leading the EXPERIENCE project. Cornwall Council is one of 14 project partners. It is working together in the six areas to help resolve common problems.
The project will share its learnings and successful approaches for regions elsewhere. It will create long-term benefits, after project completion.
Contact details: Rosa Pedley, Project Manager
Public Arts commission:
As part of the EXPERIENCE project, our team is looking to commission an artist or consortium of artists to create an arts trail along the Marazion to Penzance Coast Path.
This is an exceptional opportunity to create an artistic landmark in Cornwall. This arts trail will encourage people to connect with Penzance's cultural and natural assets, providing an opportunity for contemplation, reflection and engagement.
Deadline for applications: 5th March 2021