Information about Covid19:
Please read our information on how we are supporting residents and businesses, as well as information on affected services.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the salary scales at Cornwall Council?

Social Workers in Cornwall are employed across I, J, K and L grades, with progression based upon knowledge and skills, experience, qualification and performance in line with the Professional Capabilities Framework (PCF).

Continue reading

Progression between levels is determined by evidence of people's abilities to manage issues such as complexity, risk and responsibility in a range of professional settings.

Our ‘Social Work Career & Qualification Pathway’ section details salary for each key progression stage. Starting salary is £25,502 for NQSWs. Our L grade Social Workers are management roles.

Yes.  We offer the costs of relocation (temporary accommodation and travel, sale and purchase of houses, and removal costs) for social workers moving to Cornwall. We can provide you with further details at the interview stage.

We have a wide range of employee benefits including:

  • Payment of professional Social Work England registration fees where this is a requirement of your position.
  • A provided car scheme. 
  • A Contribution Reward Scheme. 
  • We may also pay course fees for approved post qualifying study subject to application and approval. For more details please see your benefits and reward page.

Employees receive 23 days leave pro rata which increases to 28 days after five years’ service.

We are able to match existing leave entitlement up to 28 days for those who have continuous service within Local Authorities.

No we do not pay annual increments. We introduced a Contribution Related Pay scheme in 2016 and pay increases are now based on performance.  This is measured as part of the annual appraisal and is based on achievement of objectives and individual behaviours.

Yes we welcome colleagues who are returning to the profession, and are able to support returning social workers whose registration has lapsed following a career break in excess of two years.

For an informal discussion please contact us by email or phone 01872 327000