Applying for or renewing a blue badge


How do I apply for a blue badge?

You can check whether you are eligible, apply for a blue badge and provide your documents online through the website. You'll still need to pay the £10 fee to Cornwall Council. If you are thinking about using a blue badge checking service you may be charged a fee and there is no guarantee that you will be given a blue badge.

Apply for a blue badge on

How do I pay the £10.00 fee for my blue badge?

Your fee of £10.00 can be paid by debit or credit card over the telephone by calling 0300 1234 121 and selecting option 4.

How long does it take for my application to be processed?

It usually takes around four weeks to six weeks to process the application, as long as you have completed the claim form fully, provided a photograph along with any evidence requested and paid your £10 fee. It might take longer than normal if we cannot make a decision on your application and we need you to attend a mobility assessment. If successful your badge will then be issued by our badge supplier to your home address by post.

What happens when you receive my application?

When your application form, evidence (if needed) and £10 fee is received your case will be allocated a reference number. We will provide this reference number to you if we need further information or if your application if rejected. We then check your identity, and ensure you meet the qualifying conditions.  If you are eligible for a badge we send a request to our national partner who produces your blue badge and posts it to your home address.

How will you contact me if you need further information?

We prefer to contact people by telephone, so it is important that you provide us with at least one telephone number so that we can call you if we need to discuss your application. If we cannot speak to you on the telephone we will email you (if you have provided an email address) or send a letter in the post.

What happens if my form does not contain enough information for you to decide if I need a blue badge?

We will look at your application and if there is not enough information to complete the assessment, we will contact you, usually by telephone. If we still do not have enough information we may ask you to attend a mobility assessment.

What is a mobility assessment?

A mobility assessment is carried out when either not enough information has been provided to make the correct decision, or you disagree with our decision.  The assessment is carried out by medical professionals independent of Cornwall Council. A report is then provided to us on how your disability affects your walking.  We use this to make a final decision on your application.

What can I do if my blue badge application is rejected?

Applications are rejected usually because you do not qualify for a badge under the strict criteria. However if you disagree with the decision, you can write to us within one month of the date on the refusal letter and ask us to reconsider your application. The letter must be signed by you, and clearly tell us why you disagree with our decision.  You should also provide any further information or evidence you think is relevant to your application and that you have not provided to us before.

How long does my badge last?

Your blue badge is normally valid for three years from the date of issue.

However, if you receive:

  • mobility allowance
  • the higher rate mobility component of the disability living allowance
  • or war pensioners mobility supplement

and your benefit has been awarded for less than three years, your blue badge will expire on the same date as your benefit.

How do I renew my blue badge?

Blue badges are not automatically renewed, we do NOT send reminders and the reapplication process can take the same time to deal with as a new application.

You can reapply online; the process is exactly the same as making an application for the first time. You will need to pay a fee of £10 for your new badge. You will also need to provide us with an up to date photograph and any evidence relevant to your application.

Reapply online on

What if I have a blue badge from another area?

If you move to Cornwall from another area, you can continue to use your old badge and apply for a new one from Cornwall Council when it expires. You should tell the Council that issued your old badge about your change of address. 

What if my blue badge is lost, stolen or destroyed?

We can issue a replacement badge if yours is lost, stolen, destroyed or so damaged or faded that it can’t be read.  You will need to provide a new photo and the £10.00 fee.

  • If your old badge has less than six months until it expires, you must complete a new application form. 
  • If your old badge has more than six months until it expires, write to Blue Badge Assessments, Truro, PO Box 676, TR1 9EQ asking for a replacement and explaining why you need it.
  • If your badge is stolen, you need to file a report with the police to say that your badge has been lost or stolen and then provide us with the police crime report number.
  • If your badge is lost you need to report it at and get a reference.
  • If your badge is faded or damaged, you must return it to us after you receive your replacement badge.

Ask for a replacement badge online

What to do if a blue badge holder has died?

You should return the blue badge to Cornwall Council by posting it to Blue Badge Assessments, PO BOX 676, Truro, TR1 9EQ.

Where do I send my completed application?

If you prefer to download a Blue Badge application form and send it to us in the post the forms are available below:

If you receive

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) - Higher rate of the mobility element
  • Personal Independence Payment (PDP) - 8 points or more under "Moving Around"
  • The mobility supplement of a War Pension, or you are
  • Registered as blind

You should complete the form for Applicants who meet the automatic eligibility criteria

For all other individual applications please complete the form for Applicants who have difficulty walking

Organisations should apply using the Organisational form

Completed application forms should be sent with photocopies of any evidence you need to send us (as requested on the claim form) and your passport approved photograph (with your name and date of birth printed on the reverse) to Assessments, PO BOX 676, Truro, TR1 9EQ.

If you still need to talk to us about your Blue Badge application you can call us on 0300 1234 121 (option 4)